Friday, February 26

The German Opera

I had a picture come to my mind the yesterday.

I was laying in the bathtub listening to the classical stations and two women began to sing, as if in a play, an opera in German. One had an alto voice, creamier and muted, from the back of the throat.  the other light and clear, a soprano, with just a tiny bit more of a verbrato than my mother, but not by much.

This soprano sounded so much like Mom, Diane, that I thought to myself and imagined that she must be being broadcasted straight from Heaven itself, as some big secret and joke to the world for it being in ignorance of listening to singing voices, a German opera, playing right from the skies above, the heavens, the heavenly realm. 

I envisioned my mother on a stage in a beautiful ornate theatre (pronounced thee-AYter).  She was all dressed in a delicate and grandios costume, golds and ruby colored, with her long wavey black hair all up in a curls pinned around her head with a few strands piecing around her face and brow.  I even thought of her performing with such fervor and fun for a particular man sitting in the audience.....

The man, almost toward the back of the seating area, was a bit unnoticeable and quiet, yet his ears were tuned so finely in to the grand stage presence, amazed and impressed, and so so proud of his creation - not at all as a pride of ownership or credit, but a pride of a parent when his own child becomes a parent herself.  With awe and reverence, he watched and listened to the creative expression of divine worth.

And then the women stopped singing and burst into laughter and German banter- this too sounded like Mom, and if I had more faith, I would have been convinced for certain of the secret reality of hearing Mom broadcasted live and living from the Heavenly theatre.

No comments:

Post a Comment